[Sussex] Taliskerific

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 10:03:02 UTC 2003

Tom wrote:
----------
> Good Morning Slugs,
>
> Quick note to say...
> 1) I'm back
> Fresh from the Isle of Skye.. or Isle of Dark Cloudy (with added
> rain/sleet/snow/hail) Skye if you were there last week :-)

Good morning Tom!

Noting your title, did you go to the Talisker distillary ?  A finer dram
cannot be found than that available in the bar at Talisker.  Oooh! I can
taste it now, all smokey, seaweady with a peaty undertone... *happy
memories*

When I was 19 I purchased five barrels which are quietly waiting... ;)

> In a pretty quiet place like Skye, you wouldn't think they'd have adsl
> enabled exchanges.... but apparently Portree (the capital) do!

Yeah, they've got pretty cosmopolitan and sophisticated since they've had
the bridge!

> With no Internet for the week I was searching high and low for
> bandwidth, popped into the local library and woop.. Free
> internet access
> for the general public on a fast connection.. and apparently
> its free in
> all libraries in Scotland... Why isn't it like that here?

Well, AFAIK there are lots of places with free internet access - but that's
only because Tony thinks the internet is very New Labour.. ;)

On a wider scale the services and provisions in Scotland are improving
rapidly. This is ecause Scotland has a devolved government looking after
it's people and handling taxation and expenditure.  As most of Scotland
lives in relative poverty the Scots parliament have adjusted to supporting
the realities of Scots society.  This system works quite-well, as it does in
Wales.  The English people are the only ones without national
representation.

Unfortuinately the British government doesn't really see much beyond London
and commuterville - they see Britain as a land of big business and wealthy
people and they persist in policies that support that kind of society.  In
some respects they are even worse than the conservatives (not a phrase I use
lightly) in this respect, because they are in effect city focused.

> 2) Meetings link on the main page of the site is dead.

OK.  Gareth's probably doing some work on it with regard to Steve's program.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"I sing sometimes for the war that I fight
'cause every tool is a weapon if you hold it right"
 - Ani DiFranco "My IQ"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company