[Sussex] It the simple things ...

Andrew Guard agua at coinford.co.uk
Mon Mar 10 14:04:01 UTC 2003

I just had an big problem on my hands.  There was planed network Internet
connection shut down.  We was trying to get to bottom of why there has been
an slow down in Internet connection.  Before BT would even look in to it
there need me have direct link between starlight modem and PC (laptop).
Some very simple test download file from there site and see the transfer
rate and some pinging's, not rocket science.  They in the end agreed with me
that connection was working half transfer rate at should be, so they where
going to look in to it.  Great I thought.  I just remove the connection
between the PC and put back in to router.  Then things started to go wrong
big time.

Now due fact that starlight modem have lag (understatement) they all have
internal proxy's built in.  So I ping that but  all ever got back was
Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination host unreachable.
Which is address of router (Gateway) on our network.
I thought ow sh#t (You would say same if knew how much one Cisco's cost).
So I had look at the config settings for Cisco all was fine.  So tried and
shut down router/modem see if that would fix it, no luck (well I learned
that from Windows, if not working then reset).  Still no luck.

Then I mad thought, why not try an different network cable.  Guess what, it
was the network cable which was damaged.

Well you being able to read this proves that fix it, but how strange it was
working fine when it was in the PC but when put back in the router it must
got damaged.

_____________________________________
Andrew Guard

IT Support