[Sussex] Good news.

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Mon Mar 10 14:29:03 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 10 March 2003 at 14:00 Geoff Teale wrote:
> I have finally managed to get my order with Dell corrected and underway -
> that's just under 3 weeks since I originally ordered.

Congrates - I hope the two of you are very happy together.

> Personally I would have preferred that they ship the machine OS free and
not
> charge me (a discounted) £80 for Red Hat media and support.

The question is did Bill G get anything out of it?  I suppose that depends
if
Dell pay a "per unit" fee and if so if they find it cheeper event to send
him
the fee anyway.  I wonder how many non-Windows machines Dell have to sell
before
it makes sense to not pay Bill?

> If that wasn't enough to put a smile on my face I also now have my greasy
> paws on a copy of Ani DiFranco's new album `Evolve` - if you actually
_like_
> music ("Music" can of course can be defined as that stuff that doesn't get
> played on the radio) I'd thoroughly recommend this (or any other) of her
> albums.
>
> Ani is pretty much the one-woman, musical equivalent of the Debian
project.
> She runs her own record company (http://www.righteousbabe.com) which gives
> her artistic freedom almost no-one else enjoys, and as such her albums
> replace the normal copyright notice with:
>
> "Unauthorised duplication, while sometimes necessary, is never as good as
> the real thing"
>
> ... which I think pretty much sums up her attitude.

Which of course doesn't stop here owning the copyright, nor does it make
coping any less illegal.