[Sussex] Tie becomes unbound

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 20:17:02 UTC 2003

Nik Butler asked:

> Speaking as a member of the non tie wearing community I wondered how
> many of the more learned readers here can find the history of why we
> wear ties and what their purpose was ?

In 1660, in celebration of its hard-fought victory over the Ottoman Empire ,
a crack regiment from Croatia (then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire),
visited Paris. There, the soldiers were presented as glorious heroes to
Louis XIV, a monarch well known for his eye toward personal adornment. It so
happened that the officers of this regiment were wearing brightly colored
handkerchiefs fashioned of silk around their necks. These neck cloths, which
probably descended from the Roman fascalia worn by orators to warm the vocal
chords, struck the fancy of the king, and he soon made them an insignia of
royalty as he created a regiment of Royal Cravattes. The word "cravat,"
incidentally, is derived from the word "Croat."

Read more at http://www.neckties.com/history.htm

I have probably worn a tie four times in the last 3 years. Once for a job
interview. Once for a promotion interview. Once for being Best Man at a
friend's wedding. Once at my daughter's cristening.

Regards,

Mark