[Sussex] Good news.

Trevor Marshall trevorm at rusham.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 11 20:21:04 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 11 Mar 2003 06:53, Geoffrey Teale wrote:
> On Monday 10 March 2003 8:34 pm, Trevor Marshall wrote:
> > Aaarrrgh! .asx files! Only B****y downloads for Windows Media Player...
> > so how am I supposed to find out how good the music really is?  What's
> > wrong with Ogg? or even MP3?
>
> Go here:
>
> http://www.webactive.com/pacifica/demnow/dn20021213.html
>
> ..and you can listen to her talk and perform on Democracy Now as a
> real-player stream or a (very large) MP3 file (http://www.democracynow.org
> for more info).

Thank you, that's much better.  Interesting music - and lyrics, definitely
needs to be more widely heard.

> > Now we just need to convert her website (currently IIS on W2K according
> > to netcraft) to a better system, and replace the .asx files, then her
> > software can be as free as her artistic principles :)
>
> A fine thought.  I don't  now if Ani even knows about Free Software - she
> doesn't get involved with computers - she's certainly no fan of Microsoft
> though, or big business in general.

I think I got that from the songs...

> All the web stuff is done for her,
> maybe a little e-mail on the subject would help.

Not a bad idea - hope Nik hasn't seen this, he'll be off selling 'Answers' to
her <g>

> > Even further off topic - swa Richard Thompson at the Dome in Brighton
> > last night - excellent show!
>
> Ah, now there's  a man who can write and play.. hope you had a good time!

Oh yes, and he was on very good form.  The band were impressive, but the
short solo burst was simply stunning.  There's an online review of the first
date of the tour here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/folk/reviews/lr_rthompson0303.shtml

which could pretty well equally apply to the Brighton gig.