[Sussex] Tie becomes unbound

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Mar 12 08:54:01 UTC 2003

> I think the dress code issue gets more interesting when you get into
> summertime. Whilst a Mans Dress code is not expected to
> change, in fact
> Nylon/PolyCotton Dark Suits, Nylon or Cotton shirts and a tie in the
> middle of a 25degree heatwave is the expected norm. Meanwhile
> the Women
> can be seen in Light Cotton summer dresses!

This is a serious problem.  There was an instance listed in the recent case
where men were refused managerial permission to remove ties and roll up
sleeves - the manager in question was a women wearing a teeshirt and a
skirt.

> Now that im not generally complaining about, being th sexist
> letch that
> I am <grin> I love the summer time.

Oh yes, and BTW saying so is not legally considered a sexist act - though in
some circumstances it could form part of a sexual harrasment case.

> Im not sure this will be treated to seriously as a case, but if more
> people appeal to thier HR departments then it may gain some momentum.

I wonder how many companies would be prepared to take it to court rather
than allow men to take their ties off?  To me it seems an incredibly petty
thing to go to the expense of a court case over.  The inforcement of tie
wearing has more detremental aspects for male employees than it has positive
aspects for the employers.

> Judging from the History Lesson Mark gave us it amazes me that a mans
> fashion has not changed much in hundred of years!

Well, a tie has moved on a little bit from the cravat, but ultimately our
society hasn't moveed on much from the early 19th century.  Western business
dress is an evolution of the formal wear adopted in the British empire of
those days.

We are in many ways still living by Victorian standards and principles.

> Personally I think that woman having fought for equal rights
> for so long
> have scared men into a corner frightened to voice opinions about how
> women should dress in the office in case its viewed as a Sexist issue!

Indeed.  But don't get carried away  - as far as equality between the sexes
is concerned we don't, as a nation, make it into the top 10 countries in the
world.

So I think women still have a right to demand equal pay, conditions and
opportunities before we worry too much about our ties.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company