[Sussex] Amiga

Andrew Guard agua at coinford.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 13:45:01 UTC 2003

Just thought some of you might be interested in this Amiga e-mail.
For those who don't know Eyetech is main player in Amiga hardware today.

I have cut lot of it out if you want read it in full then
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/amigaone/message/25913

Well in the event the developers did find a few problems with the newly
available hardware/firmware combination, and as a result UBoot had some
further updates - as posted this week by Hyperion - including board
diagnostics and better RAM support. In addition SuSE ran out of boxed PPC
Linux sets, so we have decided to ship Debian Linux with the Earlybird
systems instead. The developers, and particulrly Ross Vumbaca, have done
sterling work in putting together an end-user installation guide. Thanks
again guys.

This PPC motherboard market is of course a new market for Terrasoft who,
despite the best wishes of those who would do anything to see genuine Amiga
supporting companies such as us and Hyperion fail, are really a very small
company that have historcally made their money selling Linux books and
merchandise, and providing paid some YDL support to companies. My guess is
that it is their uncertainties in this new (to them) board market coupled
with
the required volume/financial commitment which is now causing them to
reconsider their options. In fact Terrasoft have not even contributed to
porting YDL to the Teron board - this has been done by Bill Mueller of MAI
and others on the A1 dev list..They clearly also completely messed up their
TeronPx/G4 pricing calculations - hence the quick withrawal from their web
site.

_____________________________________
Andrew Guard

IT Support