[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Fri Mar 14 10:08:00 UTC 2003

Steve wrote:
------------
> I think you've missed on important different.

Very probably -

"When I look down I miss all the good stuff,
When I look up, I just trip over things"

> Microsoft only
> dominate where
> WinOS is the dominate OS on which those applications run.
> Netscape lost out
> to IE on WinOS, like wise with streaming media market.  If
> Microsoft bundles
> a web browser with the OS then why go out an get another
> package when the
> one bundled for free will do (for must losers)?

<snipped the rest - it will be answered anyhow>

True, but that tactic is based on the assumption that everyone is using
Windows machines anyway.  It has worked very well on the desktop and now
Microsoft are moving it to the server market.

YOu correctly point out that Microsoft don't dominate in the server market -
but they have, in the last 10 years, gone from 0% to a sizeable market -
they need to defend it to survive.  If we can convince people to switch to
LINUX  then there isn't a problem , but there are a significant number of
companies who don't even consider any other option for an OS other than
Windows.  However, a significant number of those companies will happily run
Oracle on those machines (a number of them are our customers).  Oracle are
big enough the IT directors don't question them - there is no pressure to
switch to SQL Server.   What Microsoft are engineering here is a reason to
use SQL server rather than Oracle - time and time again they've cut prices
and integrated to gain dominance in a market in which they were a bit part
player and then forced costs up.  Within the scope of the NT server market
this is just another opportunity to boost their product on the back of their
OS.

Wonder what the EU commision will make of all this..

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company