[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri Mar 14 11:22:00 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 14 March 2003 10:58 Geoff Teale wrote:
> The crux of what you are saying is that Microsoft are only one of many
large
> players in the server market.  No dispute there

Only in part.  I was also trying to say that the policy they are using to
grow there share of that market, while successful in the desktop market,
won't
work for servers.

>                                                  - I don't think there is
> much scope for Microsoft to grow their stake in the server market.  All
I'm
> saying is that they are utilising their limited stake in the Server market
> to grow their limited stake in the Database market.

Agreed.

> What's more worrying still is that Office 2003 has certain dependancies on
> Windows XP Server 2003 (see Computing yesterday) - this _is_ an attempt to
> use the dominance of Office on the desktop to grow their share in the
server
> market - guaranteed there will be a number of middle management types who
> will "need" the new Office 2003 functionality in the same way they "need"
> Outlook / Exchange.

I hadn't see that report.  And yes it is worrying.  But if they are doing
that
then, my limited legal knowledge, it suggests that they leave themselves
open to
another "Anti-trust" case from the DoJ.  I would expect the DoJ to take a
much,
much dimmer view of Microsoft if they were found to be still playing the
same
old game a second time around.