[Sussex] Improving on UNIX

Geoffrey Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Mar 14 21:44:00 UTC 2003

Mark,

I've snipped out your posting because (for once) I have nothing to add or
argue with. All I can say is that I think that this is a really fascinating
debate - most interestingly of all, it raises the issue that what us techies
focus on (ie. what is technically best) is not always the best solution for
you users.

As the guy said in the article I mentioned earlier "Do we hate our users that
much?" - the answer is invariably "No", but I guess sometimes it must seem
that way.

In all the systems and process analysis I've ever been involved in I can hold
up my hand and say that the mistake I have made most often is this - I can
understand the system perfectly, I can see how to automate it and improve the
process immeasurably, but only occasionaly have I ever understood the users
themselves and in terms of UI at least this usually leads to systems that
they feel uncomfortable with.   The biggest struggle we still have to face in
modern computing is simply this - how do we take something as incredibly
complex as a computer program and present in the real world terms that an
average human being can understand.

When we talk about intuition we tend to assume that an intuitive system is one
that follows the general style of the system (Microsoft push standardisation
of interfaces for their platform as very important).   To me, these are not
intuitive systems at all but merely familiar systems.  THe holy grail of
intuition is a UI that tribesman from the Amazon can use without instruction
on the very first time he ever sees a computer - to achieve this we need to
think beyond window manager design and go right back to how we do I/O with
the system at all.

Long live this level of discussion on the LUG!

--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org
Free Software Foundation