[Sussex] Debian Install

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Mon Mar 17 07:58:00 UTC 2003

On Sun, Mar 16, 2003 at 11:26:37PM +0000, Neil Ford wrote:
> If my Debian memory is correct.
it is, but I think BSD makes this whole thing easier.
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist upgrade
> If you only have the stable sources listed in your apt file then that
> should take you to the latest stable release.
To expand,
	Stable is old but working
	Testing is newer and possibly working
	UnStable is well you guessed.

In the office, i tend to you stable all the time, and this leads to much
ridicule from my associates from my lack of courage in using a more
bleeding edge system. later that day when package X stops working after
package z is installed they spend the day resucitating their respective
systems. then who has the last laugh ?

> If you are going to do this, then you probably want to do it before you
> install too many additional packages.
true, cause I made that mistake a little to often, dselect is tooo
tempting!

I would recommend that in place of dselect you try

apt-cache search package-name

which I find works well for avoiding getting stuck in wierd dependancy
issues also being the command line it lets you get the package down
quicker <grin>