[Sussex] Open Source in Biometrics

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Mar 17 11:18:01 UTC 2003

Neil wrote:
-----------
> I'd look at O'Reilly's site to start with, they are big on bio-
> informatics. Don't be surprised if the majority of stuff is
> Perl based
> though, all the people I know involved in this stuff are using Perl.

OK, thanks.  Yup I've seen a lot of Perl stuff in this area, but I think the
balance is much the same as any other area.  It shouldn't be too hard to
bring concepts from Perl to Python - the library support is all there and I
can't think of anything Perl can do that Python can't (if a little more long
windedly).

> If you need some more pointers, I can ask a friend at Cambridge for
> some ideas. She's doing her Phd on the fruit fly.

Oh, no.. don't go disturbing people, I'm just interested in simulating it
all - it makes a nice change from trying to work on a device driver for my
wife's HP 4470 scanner (which is unnecessarily difficult because Realtek
(who make the chipset) won't pblish the details).

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

"make music like mercy that gives what it is and has nothing to prove"
 - Ani DiFranco "Up Up Up Up Up Up"

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company