[Sussex] Backup my Distro

Iain Stevenson iain at iainstevenson.com
Fri Mar 21 13:52:00 UTC 2003

--On Friday, March 21, 2003 10:55 am +0000 Angelo Servini
<Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk> wrote:

> I want to be able to back up my Linux partition on a regular basis.  Can
> anybody show me an example script or scripts I can write to do this?

You could use this: http://cdbkup.sourceforge.net/

Most of the backup utilities seem to write tar files (as does cdbkup).  I
haven't yet found a script that manages the magic task of compressing files
individually so that:

- you don't have the problem of a complete 5Gbyte backup screwed up
  by a minor CD error
- it's easy to find the one file you want from the backup using
  a GUI (eg ROX-Filer)

  Iain