[Sussex] [WRU] So which hearing was I in ?

Adam Smith adamjsmith at clara.co.uk
Sun Mar 23 22:52:00 UTC 2003

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 22:07:02 +0000
Nik Butler <nik at wired4life.org> wrote:

> A hell of a lot!

Nice roundup Nik.  Sorry for being absent ever so slightly more than usual this week, I've had my finger in a lot of different pies this week(+end) trying to make a little money (we don't all get £10k payoffs!).

>The bit about the laptop!

A good point you make there.  I was giving LTSP (www.ltsp.org) a try recently and was amazed that I could have a 100mhz (no I didn't miss a zero) machine made out of scrap from my drawer booting in relative speed from the network and running, as you said, almost as well as if you were using the server machine itself!  The possibilities are endless, the question is why isn't this more widely adopted?  Please forgive if it's something stupidly obvious but I couldn't see any reason why this wouldn't be far more useful AND cost effective in an environment such as a school.  I'm not saying ditch Windows altogether, kids need Windows as much as it saddens me to say it, but one lab running thin clients couldn't be a bad thing could it?

Btw Nik, something I've been meaning to pull you up on - in a couple of posts you seemed to say I was from Newhaven, it's Eastbourne!

Anyway that's me for tonight.

Byeeeeeee

PS.  Use Gentoo!