[Sussex] Hello!

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Tue Mar 25 14:38:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 25 March 2003 at 14:15 Geoff Teale wrote:
> I'd just like to second Steve's point . .where possible swap space on a
> seperate physical disk can really help your systems performance.  This is
> especially important on multi-processor machines as their memory habit is
at
> a more advanced stage than most single CPU machines and when they want it
> they want it __NOW__!

Stop showing off.  Just 'cos you've got a dual processor, twin disk system
at home now to play with.  :-)

Me I've found that single processor laptops more than powerful enough for my
needs.

Of course now I've got an iPAQ too the question for me now becomes do I
bring
one Linux machine to the LUGMOOT or two?  ;-)

Dom - if your reading I had not problem switching over to Linux on my iPAQ.
Are you interested in switching over your iPAQ this Thursday night?  If Nik
can
get us power then it can easily be done in the evening.

If you do want to upgrade to Linux then I'll need the answers to the
following
questions:

  1). Which iPAQ do you have? (e.g. mine is the 3600 model)
  2). Which GUI version do you want?
       There are three options:
         A). Basic Familiar Bootstrap: The basic requirements for getting
the
             handheld booting, and on the network. Includes ppp, pcmcia,
ethernet,
             wireless, and ssh.
         B). X/GPE Bootstrap Image: Bootstrap plus X/GPE, with user logins.
         C). Opie Bootstrap  Image: A Embedded QT based distro.

I opted for Opie.  Having tried them both I felt that GPE being X based a
little
messy in the display (and the pointer being a waist of screen space when
using
a stylus).  Opie looks much cleaner as you can see here [1]

Steve

[1]: http://opie.handhelds.org/screenshots/gallery/