[Sussex] More on Bad Maths

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Wed Mar 26 08:24:00 UTC 2003

> Randomness is, of course a purely hypothetical concept - there is no such
> thing as a Random number.  Simply sampling any given entity in the universe
> for ay property will not do, because those states are physical absolutes and
> are predetermined by the state of everything else in the universe.
> Moreover, as _any_ computer scientist would tell you it is impossible for a
> computer to ever generate a random number (for obvious reasons), so when you
> use rnd() (or whatever it is in your language-of-choice) you are simply
> relying on a suitable simulation of randomness.
not at all disputed, but the competition was to generate a algorithm
that produced a random number. . . Petard and Hoisted me thinks !

<grin>

And yes I will have that drink <grin>

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

From: Michael Wolf
You know what seems odd to me? Numbers that aren't divisible by two."