[Sussex] More on Bad Maths

Geoff Teale Geoff.Teale at claybrook.co.uk
Wed Mar 26 10:24:01 UTC 2003

Mark wrote:
-----------
> Why thankyou :-)
>
> The b++++ in my geek code was not, in fact, a typo. I have a
> library of about
> 2,500 books, and read 3-4 most weeks.

My wife, Sarah, is exactly the same.  She's currently reading "A beautiful
mind", a biography of Bruce Chatwin and a number of legal texts.  The book
about Nash is entertaining for me because she is getting quite interested in
Mathematics as a result.  I just wish I had time to read more, I just caught
up working with the computer and various little projects - since I hit a
dead-end with my scanner driver I've been focussing a lot of biometric
programming (and reading around the subject) which kind of monopolises my
free time - if I could find a way of doing this kind of thing for a living
then I might have more leisure time for reading.

> I concede that many of these are sci-fi and fantasy, but my
> management and IT
> sections are fairly comprehensive as well.
>
> I do try to double-check what I type here, particularly
> detail stuff - for
> example, the stuff last night about the use of leaf as currency came
> from "Money - where it came from, whence it went" by J. K.
> Galbraith, which I
> finished about a month ago.
>
> As it happens, Feynmann is currently sitting beside my bed on
> the "active"
> pile :-)

Ah.. that explains the amazing clarity of recallation.

geoff.teale at claybrook.co.uk
tealeg at member.fsf.org

Anyone who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of
course, in a state of sin.
-- J. von Neumann

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company