[Sussex] Yet more gentoo

dominic dominic.clay at btinternet.com
Sun Mar 30 13:15:01 UTC 2003

Hi guys,

Well my Gentoo installation is going well...  I am trying to get a big
project ready for work at the same time, so things with the Gentoo
install are only moving ahead in short bursts when I take a break :/

I am at the point however, where the instructions say I should configure
the system for autoloading modules for the reboot (big moment :).

In particular in /etc/modules.autoload I would expect to find the module
for my Network card (A nasty old Netgear FA311 card which uses a natsemi
driver.  It isn't there, neither can I find it anywhere on the
filesystem (It wasn't available in menuconfig, when I built the kernel
either).

The LiveCD had no problem autofinding and running my network without any
interference from me.

So the question is:  Will the empty /etc/modules.autoload mean that my
NIC will not be found, and if so, how do I sort it out?  How did the
LiveCD manage it?

Cheers,
Dominic