[Sussex] [SWRU] Microsoft is From Mars, Open Source is from Venus.

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 10:52:00 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steve Dobson" <steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Sunday, March 30, 2003 11:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Sussex] [SWRU] Microsoft is From Mars, Open Source is from Venus.

> Nik
>
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 08:50:07PM +0100, Nik Butler asked:
> > who won the competition then?
> > http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-March/002250.html
>
> Of all the tee-shirts I saw that night only one had a reference
> (that I got) to both animals and geekdom - and that was Geoff's
> Gentoo tee shirt.

I draw the panel's attention to Phillippa's romper suit, which was clearly
labelled with a "wombat" logo.

I contended, at the meeting, that Wombat was an OpenSource computer package.

Wombat is a servlet engine for Perl. It provides a servlet container that
implements an adaption of the Java (TM) Servlet API Specification to Perl. The
engine is designed to run in many different deployment configurations: embedded
inside a protocol server, standalone with an external protocol server, or
standalone with one or more internal protocol listeners.

http://wombat.sourceforge.net/

I will concede that my claim that Wombat was OpenSource was NOT in fact based on
knowledge of this servlet engine, but on Meta-knowledge of the OpenSource
community. Specifically induction rule 72, which states:

    "Look, it's an animal - some bugger must have released a package named after
it."

Regards,

Mark