[Sussex] IP Numbers

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri May 2 16:56:04 UTC 2003

On Friday 02 May 2003 3:38 pm, Paul Turner wrote:
> This is a bit of a strange question, but one that has just been asked here.
>

> How many IP numbers can LINUX support on the same network interface?

Paul,

With IP Aliasing it always used to be 256 (no prizes for guessing why).  I
don't see any reason why it would have changed recently.

<mode="lecture" target="someone who should know better"
use_of_pseudoHTML="ironic">
On a more general note Mr Turner, you should really post to the list in plain
text, not HTML - firstly an admin person (Gareth or I) will have to approve
the message if it is in HTML format and secondly several people on this list
use text only email packages (mutt, pine, emacs-RMail etc..) and find it a
pain in the bum reading through HTML syntax.
</mode>

--
GJT
Free Software Foundation