[Sussex] WiFi question

Jon Fautley jon at geekpeople.net
Fri May 2 17:13:04 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Crowhurst" <fyremoon at fyremoon.net>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2003 2:55 PM
Subject: [Sussex] WiFi question

> I was wondering, how many WiFi 802.11 networks can you have in close
> proximity? Can I have multiple WAPs on different IP addresses, and have
> multiple networks off that, or am I simply limited to the frequencies that
> WiFi works on?

And now, I'm posting on behalf of 3a IT Limited...

"The channels are spread spectrun and actually use 22MHz of signal
bandwidth, so adjacent radios will need to be sperated by at least 5
channels to see zero overlap. For example, channels 1, 6 and 11 have no
overlap."[1]

This basically means that to run totally seperate wireless networks that
won't interfere with each other, you'll need to seperate the channels by at
least 5.

Also, you can put access points on different channels and as long as they
have the same ESSID and are connected to the same network, the clients
should roam freely.

Here endeth the lesson.

Jon

[1] Quoted from "Building Wireless Community Networks" by Rob Flickenger,
published by O'Reilly (ISBN - 0-596-00204-1)