[Sussex] Yet Another Windows Bug

Nik Butler nik at wired4life.org
Sat May 3 09:07:01 UTC 2003

Following on from a Slashdot.org story it appears that the vole has
discovered ( reworked ) yet another windows bug.

apparently if you create a malformed tag in HTML then any application
using schwapi ( IE or Outlook reading HTML ) will barf.

the offending line would look like

<input type crash>

where crash could be the word crash, sussex, slugs, butterfly.

the article is here

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=9288

Now this makes me think of the following wonderful ways to get back at
MS for breaking standards and causing other applications to barf.

as MS relies on quite a lot of Open Source products to carry its content
to the desktop it would be a terrible shame if people started doing the
following.

[1] Add a small amount of HTML to the end of all EMAILs containing
malformed HTML

[2] Add a rewrite rule in apache that passes a little malformed HTML to
the clients.

As users dont differentiate between client issues and server issues they
will all start getting really annoyed with Outlook and IE and start
demanding better reliability. Where in the clueful step forward with
Mozilla and (A.N. Other ) Mail Client.

Now I am not really condoning the use of malicious code to sabtoage
another vendors product but I am suprised that this bug which exposes MS
products to a easily created weakness has lasted so long against PATCH
updates.

Yours thoughts SLUGS.

ps.
I use Mozilla and Mutt ... whats a Crash ?

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

Two atoms are talking to each other, and one says,
"I think I've just lost an electron!"
"Are you certain?" the other replies.
"Yes! I'm positive!"