[Sussex] Big news.. maybe

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Sun May 4 17:13:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On Sun, May 04, 2003 at 04:43:58PM +0100, Geoff Teale wrote:
> HP-Compaq are launching a takeover bid for Sun Microsystems.  That's a major
> consolidation of the UNIX vendor market, but it would give us another
> super-heavyweight alongside IBM in the high-end server market.

Given the weakness of Sun shares at the moment this isn't all that
surprising.

> I imagine this takeover would spark (geddit?) wider ranging support for LINUX
> on the UltraSparc III platform.

The next time we're all at the pub I'll have you put in the stocks for
that bad a pun :-)

I didn't think sun were a problem with making information available to
the Open Source Crowd.  The last time I checked thy were publishing the
hardware specs so anyone could make a Sparc - there is a Sparc clone
market after all.  Sun's business was being first to market not the only
one supplier in that market.