[Sussex] Suing Microsoft

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Wed May 7 14:50:01 UTC 2003

Geoff

On 07 May 2003 at 13:53 Geoff Teale wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> ------------
> Though it remains to be seen if a court what accept the
> fact that everything is broken as mitigation.  If all
> electrical goods were badly earthed would that excuse a
> manufacter from responsibility for injuries caused?
> That is something for a judge or jury to consider.

But one also has to look at the structure of the system.
In a car if the exhaust has a hole in it it doesn't cause
the wheels to fall off.  Software is a complex state machine
with many, many interactions - how it works is a very
different beast.

> So long as you installed the patch on your customers machines...

Not all companies are responsible for their clients' IT.  When
will you be letting UK Linux to install RH8.2 on your new system
so they can patch it remotely?  You are one of their clients aren't
you?

<snip>

> Microsoft have taken legal action to force sites publishing
> known bugs on their websites to cease and desist.  I don't know
> if I recall the fact, but I believe they justified this as a
> copyright issue.

I can't believe they'd get a way with it on a general case of
just reporting it (like say a newspaper).  But I don't know the
case(s) you're thinking of.

> > As for my MR2: Toyota have my name and address on record.  If
> > a problem does occur then can write to me and advise me.  I
> > think the model is different.
>
> Yes, the real world model is different, but the law may not
> be defined as such.

Then isn't a court case were a new precedent will be set?

> ...which is why they don't want this information published
> all over the web..

But the normal reaction from the press is "then will not
report on your positive cases either" (and then do an "exposé").
Microsoft does need to advertise.