[Sussex] html and stuff

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Wed May 7 16:55:01 UTC 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gareth Ablett" <Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk>
To: <sussex at mailman.lug.org.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2003 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: [Sussex] html and stuff

> Hi list,
>
> I would like to have a go at designing a website.

Nice one and good luck.

> I have access to frontpage 2k and a copy of the orifice 2k "dummies" book.
While I have also looked at whats available as an open source alternative >
and all I can find is bluefish and amaya.

You have just spoken one of the worst word known to man in the web design
industry and that is frontPage.
If you are planning to go anywhere with improving your skills in web design
and coding I would suggest you either start with a text editor or some a
better product that does wysiwyg without being made by Microsoft.

I tend to use a text editor for my web design and as a result the code is a
lot better then that produced by a wysiwyg editor.

> Now, having to learn the frontpage from scratch is bad enough, bluefish
appears to be more of an advanced/experienced user app and I don't even know
> where to start with installing amaya (well except under wind0w$), let
alone using it.

> So, as I hope the eventual result will be about my efforts to learn linux,
if I use the frontpage to learn some of the techniques (obviously avoiding >
anything that seems to be to M$ specific) when I save it as straight html,
will I then be able to open it with one of the open source editors an modify
it that way or will I have to get any imagery, screenshots etc from my
mandrake install and e-mail it to myself to be able to get it from the
mandrake to the frontpage, or can I just save it to disc, then boot back
into wind0w$ and open the images with the frontpage?

Any images will copy from windows to Linux and back again without a problem
normally.

-----------

Gareth and Geoff,

Thanks for the idea's. I understand both, but due to my inability and
ignorance (and impatience for that matter) in regard to coding and/or
writing HTML (is there a difference - I don't know) I will have to persue
the "F" word and in the fullness of time once I've got my head round
producing and publishing a site, buy a basic HTML book (and yes any
suggestions for suitable beginners HTML books much appreciated) and learn to
write it in a text editor.

Until then, I will have to stick to "the devil I know" and promise not to
mention the F*******e expletive again.

regards

John D:?