[Sussex] html and stuff

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Wed May 7 22:43:00 UTC 2003

>> Hi list,
>>
>> I would like to have a go at designing a website.
>
> 	Nice one and good luck.

There are plenty of tutorials out on the Internet that will help if you
get stuck.

>> I have access to frontpage 2k and a copy of the orifice 2k "dummies"
>> book. While I have also looked at whats available as an open source
>> alternative > and all I can find is bluefish and amaya.

I'd suggest that if you were gonna go the windows route, tryout
dreamweaver (http://www.macromedia.com/), or sausage software's web
tool(http://www.sausage.com/).

FrontPage tends to have some stupid ideas of what HTML is, and attempts to
insert tabs and spaces as formatting, which just makes your pages look
lame.

>> So, as I hope the eventual result will be about my efforts to learn
>> linux, if I use the frontpage to learn some of the techniques
>> (obviously avoiding > anything that seems to be to M$ specific) when I
>> save it as straight html, will I then be able to open it with one of
>> the open source editors an modify it that way or will I have to get
>> any imagery, screenshots etc from my mandrake install and e-mail it to
>> myself to be able to get it from the mandrake to the frontpage, or can
>> I just save it to disc, then boot back into wind0w$ and open the
>> images with the frontpage?

Be wary, some of my friends have been creating pages with bitmap (bmp
files) and Windows MetaFile (wmf files) which the internet doesn't
support. You will have to make sure that your images are in jpg, gif or
png format so that they work on the internet.

--
John