Filenames (was [Sussex] html and stuff)

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Thu May 8 10:49:00 UTC 2003

> Geoff spake:
>
> >Type that lot into a text editor (notepad if you're on windows) and
> then save
> >it as first.htm
>
> Just a thought....  Is there any standard for the file extension that
> should be used for html files?
> I don't know, but I would expect that the original extension would be
> .html which may have been corrupted by the MS desire for a 8.3
character
> file name.
>
> Anyone like to shed some more educated light on this?
>
> Dominic

Other then knowing standards which Geoff will probably come up with a
good answer.

The extension of the file is interpreted by the server so if apache
has the format of .blinkythebear in its system as the default then
all pages with that extension can be used as html or what ever it
is set as. Hence making it possible to use .php .asp ect.

I would of though the standards would prefer .html though.

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

----
The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality, accuracy
and content of information contained in or with this message. In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.