[sub] Filenames (was [Sussex] html and stuff)

Paul Turner pturner at rentokil.com
Thu May 8 10:56:01 UTC 2003

> Just a thought....  Is there any standard for the file extension that
> should be used for html files?

I beleive that it shouldn't matter as long as the webserver outputs the
correct content type "text/html".

.htm, .html, .shtml, .php, .asp  are all commonly used.  Some of these are
dynamically generated but the client browser should treat them identically.
It's just that the web server may use the suffix to determine how to deal
with the file (i.e. just output, process with php, etc).

> I don't know, but I would expect that the original extension would be
> .html which may have been corrupted by the MS desire for a 8.3 character
> file name.

I'd tend to agree, and will always use .html unless I'm working with a site
that already uses .htm.

P.