[Sussex] Worried?

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Wed May 28 19:13:13 UTC 2003

> Angelo
>
> On 28 May 2003 at 15:05 Angelo Servini wrote:
> > Looks like they're getting worried mates! :-)>
> >
> > "Microsoft is to give away a range of improved benefits to
> > win over critics after admitting that it alienated users with
> > its controversial software licensing model."
> >
> > http://www.computing.co.uk/News/1141202
>
>  * Free copies of Microsoft Office software for customer
>        employees to use at home;
>     SD: This isn't worth much; try getting a new machine that doesn't
>         offer to bundle in Office as well as the OS.  Yes it can be
>         done - but you have to ask.

This _is_ something that corporates have been asking for. A lot of Kingfisher's
staff have machines that come bundled with something like Works, or have older
machines at home.

>  * 'Significant' employee discounts on other software, including games;
>      SD: But most people who work at home get a company laptop that
>          doesn't need another copy of the same software.

YOU may work for a company that allows you to install "Aardvark Raiders of Doom"
on your company laptop, but in the large company sector this tends to get
frowned on unless your job title = "IT Manager" :-)

>  * Free web and telephone support for problems with server software
>       (currently a chargeable service);
>      SD: The Open Source set are already giving good Web support so
>          commercial companies have got to buck their ideas up as a
>          result.  And have you ever tried a phone support line.  Either
>          it is engaged or no one picks up.

Yes, this is laughable.

>  * Free extended support for products that have gone beyond mainstream
>       support life-cycles;
>      SD: But M$ were already seen as being poor in this area compared to
>          Sun, IBM, HP, ...

However, there are a lot of areas where MS is better, so if they catch up with
Sun on this kind of thing, then I'd be selling the Sun shares I don't own :-)

>  * Tools to speed up deployment of Windows software;
>      SD: New tools? or Free tools?

Probably free. Deployment has been getting easier over the years, and the nasty
days of SMS 1 are long gone. My guess would be that these deployment tools will
only work under AD, though.

>  * Access to Windows source code for all customers with more
>       than 1,500 licensed desktops - currently only available
>       for government departments;
>      SD: How many licensees are that big?

Quite a lot... I mean, be fair here, MS are starting to do things that the
OpenSource community has asked them to for years. Now their taking steps in the
right direction, then perhaps they should be praised rather than criticised.

>  * Free online learning software;
>      SD: As apposed to all the stuff on the web that is their anyway for
>          Unix.

... as opposed to the stuff on the web that is there anyway for Windows. There
is a LOT of stuff online from the Windows community, however, it's hard to see
how this is BAD.

>  * Training vouchers for use at authorised training centres.
>      SD: Bet they don't given 100% discounts.  But get your MSCE ticks
>          here.  Will this de-grade the value of a MSCE certificate if they
>          are more popular.

I find it hard to believe that the value of an MSCE could be degraded any
further.

I'm the most pro-Microsoft person on SLUG, but I have yet to meet an IT person I
respect who doesn't have as much Linux/Unix as they have Windows.

In fact, the IT people I respect MOST have the ability to handle both worlds,
and understand the strengths and weaknesses of each.

M.