[Sussex] KDE 3.1

Steve Dobson SDobson at manh.com
Fri May 30 08:40:14 UTC 2003

Angelo

On 29 May 2003 at 17:00 Angelo Servini wrote:
> Sorry Guys, the reason I got a little arsy with debian is
> that I have KDE 2.??? whatever and want to upgrade from the nice DVDROM
> provided by LxFormat to KDE 3.1
>
> Now I can see a problem with this if I try and use Xandros's nice Update
> program which works in KDE. So I figure that I have to start up as command
> line from boot (a handy option for this is provided for this by LILO
already).

> Ok.  How do I set about this task? I presume it involves apt-get etc.

I don't think playing with apt-get is the best approach here.  A while back
I needed a later version of XF86 to support my graphics card.  I still kept
all the XF86 packages installed but I downloaded the source for the version
of XF86 I needed and installed it in /usr/local/X11R6 and then pointed the
xdm configs to use the Xserver from there. I think a similar trick will
work for you.

If you can arrange for the KDE 3.1 stuff to be installed in
/usr/local/kde-3.1.
Debian will never touch any thing placed in /usr/local - that's policy.

Once you have the new software installed then edit /etc/ld.so.conf to list
your new /usr/local/kde-3.1/lib directory first - that way any programs that
are dynamically linked to the 3.1 KDE libraries will see them first.  If you
haven't played with ld.so.conf before then the ldd is a useful command
to debug.  It lists the shared libraries a binary file (program, library or
object; anything in elf format I guess) and reports the version that will be
picked up.

You'll also need to configure your path (either in /etc/profile or
~/.profile)
to pick up the /usr/local/kde-3.1/bin programs first.

Hope this helps