[Sussex] Fwd: Re: [Brighton-lug-misc] New To Linux

David Chapman dokterdave at ntlworld.com
Mon Nov 3 12:33:35 UTC 2003

>Fantastic
>Do you mind if I forward this to the Sussex Lug

Yes, please do. I always enjoy spreading a laugh!

Subject: Re: [Brighton-lug-misc] New To Linux
Date: Monday 03 November 2003 12:08
From: Peter Barker <pbarker at display.co.uk>
To: brighton-lug-misc at ourshack.com

Hello again

News from the trenches:

Some of you might remember the Sharp Zaurus portable I showed at the Star a
year back. It is my hand held of choice (but watch for the new clamshell
version, hint Santa...). Recently I lent it to a local charity that I was
setting up a wireless network for. They could only afford one wireless PDA
and they needed two. They use them to access  web databases while carrying
out their work advising clients.

To be fair and allow them the use of "modern technology" I provided a new
Dell Axim X5 Pocket PC with Windows Mobile 2003 with Internet Exploder. My
reason being that the latest browser technology might be better somehow and
they had Wondoze everywhere else.

On Friday I was called to settle a dispute between the workers as to who
should use the "useless old PDA" and who should use the useful new one.
Informed by this description I took a new Axim Windows PDA to replace my
old Zaurus.

Imagine my amusement when, on entering the office brandishing the
replacement Dell PDA, the jaw of the manager fell. "I though you said you
were bringing another new one," the manager exclaimed. "I have," I said,
"fresh out of the packaging". "Oh, they're not going to be very happy -
they wanted the other type."

Response 1: laugh. Response 2:cry

Eat your socks, Bill Gates. The worm is turning....

-
-Peter Barker                Desktop Display Ltd.,Brighton, UK.
-Technical Director                   "Bit bashers to the gentry"
-pbarker at display.co.uk            http://www.display.co.uk/