[Sussex] Self Extracting Archives

Matthew Macdonald-Wallace matthew at truthisfreedom.org.uk
Tue Nov 4 13:36:23 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:23, Scott James wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 01:16:14PM +0000, Matthew Macdonald-Wallace wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I've noticed that some installers for *nix systems, especially some
> > binary installers, seem to be self-extracting archives, this would be
> > great for a project I'm working on at the moment, does anyone have any
> > idea where to start?
>
> Back in the good old days ;-) of usenet shar was used todo this.
>
> Not sure I like the ideal of self extracting archives nowadays tho.
> What are you trying to achieve?

I've found a website in the last couple of minutes that will let me do
it, basically, you create the tar file and `cat` it plus a script to
untar the remainder of the file using tail to find that start of the
archive into a single file.

I want it so I can package my CMS that I'm working on into a single,
self-extracting file that will automatically set itself up! :D

Matt
--
|Matthew Macdonald-Wallace         |