[Sussex] Worth a read

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Mon Nov 10 21:23:34 UTC 2003

> Later, at the garage, I was told that a washer is not called a washer
> when it's on a car... it's called a bush. I was also told that the round
> component that the "bush" was holding in was called an "otter switch". I
> had no idea whether this is the general term, or a trade name for the
> specific part. I now learn, from Geoff's post on this forum, that other
> marques call it an otter switch as well, so I assume that it's a
> relatively generic term.

I found this link quite useful in explaining what the otter switch does:
http://www.scimitar-parts.co.uk/html/tech_help/fans.html

Its one of those puns in motoring, the switch is named because it switches
on when the water gets 'otter :P

I'm guessing that this is a feature of the more expensive cars as an
addition to the fan driven by the fan belt?

--
John