[Sussex] IT qualifications advice

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 00:41:06 UTC 2003

Alan,

Geoff Teale has given excellent advice.

If you are intending to go to university, then (assuming you pass your
degree), employers are unlikely to care which A-levels you took.

I would advise you to go for subjects that you'll enjoy... and leaning
towards subjects that are "traditional" in nature is unlikely to do any
harm.

My A-level choices were "classic" in nature - Maths, Further Maths, Physics,
Geography... this enabled me to go on to Bachelor and Masters degrees in
Mathematics and Computation. (Although I can't officially claim my Masters
until I actually turn up at a degree ceremony... which I really ought to
do.)

When I was choosing my A-levels, I wasn't particularly intending to go into
IT as a career. I'd actually intended to read Maths at University, but was
seduced onto the joint course at an open day...

Regards,

Mark