[Sussex] IT qualifications advice

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 09:49:11 UTC 2003

The question of whether a degree is useful rather hinges on what you want to
do....

If the sole/primary motivation is making some real money, I agree that drive
and determination are far more important to financial success than
qualifications. I'd personally go further and say that a willingness to go
and take a "job" (ugh) is a positive hinderance, and that the entrepeneurial
mind-set, and a willingness to build one's own business is THE key
requirement to wealth.

My example - A couple of years ago, I met at Marylebone Station, someone
with whom I'd been at University. He's a lot brighter than me, got a much
better degree, and went on to do a doctorate. Now he works as a programmer
for an annual salary at roughly equal to the "graduate starting salaries" -
ie he's not made any progress in 8 years.

However, study after study has shown that education DOES correlate
positively with income. For example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/2068094.stm

On the other hand, there are a number of jobs that are notionally available
to graduates. Of course, the odd non-graduate manages to get accepted by
sheer brilliance and determination, but a degree massively increases the
chance of success.

If you want, for example, to be a Civil Engineer, or a Chartered Accountant,
or a Lawyer, or a Doctor... then go to university on an appropriate course!

To take the example of civil engineering, a professional qualification is
typically required for some roles. (For example, you can't get a
European-funded civil engineering contract without a FEANI-accredited
engineer as project manager.) To get a FEANI, you need to qualify as MICE
(Memebers of the Institute of Civil Engineers) and pay your application fee
to FEANI which is the pan-European umbrella body. Many of the older
professional bodies (including the ICE) will accredit graduates after 4
years suitable work experience... and non-graduates after 15. In both cases,
accreditation still requires separate interviews, and a proven learning /
work record on the job... but you can do it at age 25 with a degree or 32
without.

Regards,

Mark