[Sussex] IT qualifications advice

Mark Harrison Mark at ascentium.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 12:32:36 UTC 2003

To turn back to the "Should I do ICT A-level" ....

I've just looked up the "Computer Science" course description at my old Uni,
and found the following thing on their web page:

"Application procedure:

What are tutors looking for in the interview?
Tutors want to see how you tackle unfamiliar problems and respond to new
ideas; they will be more interested in the problem-solving process than in
whether you can get straight to a solution. As in all subjects at <DELETED>,
ability and commitment to study are more important than prior knowledge.
Specifically, we do not require any formal qualification in computing,
although you will be expected to show enthusiasm for the subject."

Kind of says it all, really...

I'm not going to re-hash the thread we've had in the past. Nik and I agree
about a lot of things in this space - the primary value of "character"
(drive, determination, enthusiasm), and "experience"...

If you are that interested in where we disagree, go and read the SLUG
archives :-)

M.