[Sussex] Ooo 1.1

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Sat Oct 4 16:01:46 UTC 2003

On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 15:12, Alan Fitton wrote:
> Hmm, actually, I do seem to remember it working like that some time ago.
> I'm using the latest Slackware CUPS/lprng packages, I'm guessing its a
> problem in those. I had to make the same change in Samba and Mozilla for
> printing to work.
>
> Perhaps lpr is symlinked to lpr-cups usually?

Not to my knowledge (which is by no means infallable) - it's probably to
do with the way the slackware uses cups.

My Gentoo box has an lpr command that was installed by CUPS itself and
no lpr-cups at all - I guess slackware may call it lpr-cups to
distinguish it from an older print daemons print command.  Dunno what
other distros do.  Gentoo (and Debian, I believe) will just make you
uninstall CUPS if you want to install a different print daemon (you can
override this if you wish) and assumes that you know what you are doing
if you are trying to do that at all.
--
GJT <tealeg at member.fsf.org>
Free software, free society