[Sussex] John's Stupid question of the week!

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Oct 11 14:51:21 UTC 2003

Hi List,

It so happens that my Clare, being a teacher, has quite a lot of
"resources" to assist her in her work. These are mainly paper based, i.e.
magazine articles and the like, "work sheets" and that sort of thing.

It has crossed my mind that it would be a useful thing to have these on
"disc", and possibly searchable. Now, even with my "pea sized brain" I
understand the words data and base, but that's about where it stops.

So, could someone offer advice as to how I would go about compiling a
database?

In that, I mean, what tools/software would I need to look into? How do these
things actually work, as in do I need to have "software a" that saves a
document or image in "format b" at "location c" ?

What is the best format to save things in, bearing in mind that I imagine
the best way to get the "stuff" on disc is going to be scanning, but it
would need to be in a format that could be edited and/or ocr'd later

Regards

John D.