[Sussex] Additional to "John's stupid question"

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Oct 13 07:40:28 UTC 2003

Mark and Tony,

Thank you both for the replies. You've managed to explain more in a couple
of e-mails, that I found in a weekends worth of surfing.

I'm undecided as to whether to go for Marks' "step 1 option 2" or "option 3"
(though option 2 is looking favourite). The actual nature of Clares'
resources are a couple of piles of magazines and a couple of box files of A4
images i.e. work sheets which are basic line drawings suitable for her "age
range". She teaches nursery/reception level.

As to how much work/expense, then it's really minimal expense and as much
work as it takes (though I'm not under any illusions that it'll happen
tomorrow). Also I feel that it would be good to actually learn about some of
these, erm, things, for lack of a better word. I might be able to use my pc
for more than just the basic user drone stuff that I meddle with at the
moment.

The more I think about it, then the more that "option 2" sounds what I need
to do. Eventual database size isn't too much of a concern, the single hard
drive that I use at the moment, has 4 partitions - eckspee is about 20
gig's, mandrake nearly 50 gig's, knoppix/debian hd installed is nearly 50
gig's and a 1 gig swap (ha, at least I've got my priorities right :P).

It's really a case of identifying the necessary tools for the job, then
learning how to use them - after all I have a copy of office 2k, but would
really prefer to avoid proprietary app's.

I figure that if I can scan the paperwork in albeit actual magazine articles
or line drawing work sheet's, then I can always do any ocr or image editing
later, as and when Clare needs a specific doc/image.

regards

John D.