[Sussex] Hello from an new list member - a bit about me

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Mon Oct 13 09:36:01 UTC 2003

I am also wondering...

I use Xandros Linux which has a really nice desktop KDE ... tho it is
frustrating as cut'n paste is not as integrated as I would like ... ie,
Mozilla does not cut and paste to other apps, but I like some of the
facilities of Mozilla.  Version 2.0 is due out.  However, use of Xandros
seems to bind you into a similar use - pay'n upgrade - use - pay'n upgrade
yet again cycle which people usually get with any non GPL software.  This is
because Xandros contains commercial elements and is not a true Open distro.
However, again, I await the development / evolution of Crossover-office
which seems promising.  It isnt open software but may provide an useful path
for those of us who have no Open equivalents for software like Autoroute (it
would seem highly unlikely that Microsoft would convert this over to Linux).

As Broadband looms ever near in my village - I have been thinking that
Gentoo may be a distro to play with as it would get me to see more of how
things hang together under the hood so to speak.

Pardon my ignorance, but - I thought Knoppix was a cut down distro that
allowed you to launch Xandros from a CD, so that you could get things going
easily on mates PC's - but not a "Full" distro?  Can someone enlighten me?

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company