[Sussex] Hello from an new list member - a bit about me

Tony Austin tony at gigaday.com
Mon Oct 13 18:59:02 UTC 2003

> Hey all,
>
> Wish me luck I'm putting Gentoo on for the first time tonight. Any
> things or comments I should know before hand.

If your hard disk ever had Windows on it make sure that you

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda ...

or you will get some strange problems trying to mount /boot

I dd the whole drive just for good luck to find any bad blocks, you might
not want to do this if you have data on it of course.

I have also decided to mirror the disks on all my machines in future -
which isn't too hard after the first time or expensive.  You could
probably retro fit if you wanted.

> Thanks
>
> Gareth Ablett
> Systems Developer