[sub] RE: [Sussex] emerge and go...

Scott James scott at coldcustard.org
Thu Oct 16 12:58:05 UTC 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:54:12PM +0100, Paul Turner wrote:
> Dominic,
>
> Can't you just redirect the output of the command and send it to the
> background.
>
> something like:
>
> emerge [emerge parameters] >mylogfile & >&1
>
> when you run this you will get the process is that is created.

Depending upon the shell settings this process may still die with the
shell connects.  It will recieve the HUP (Hangup) signal.  There are
shell options that may prohibit the delivering of this shell.  If you
want to guarantee it will continue use hohup(1).  Usefully nohup will
also deal with the capturing of output.

I think screen(1) is a better way to got tho.

No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness