[Sussex] wireless

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Thu Oct 23 19:58:31 UTC 2003

> hey all,
>
> this isnt exactly Linux based but ya cant kick me for asking about it
> :).
>
> I want to setup a wireless network in my house for a few comps what is
> it i need to do this?

My wireless network consists of a Wireless Access Point (AP), and a
wireless card in another computer. I'm using 802.11b, but it will be much
the same with 11g, as they use the same freqency.

I don't know whether you can drive your wireless network without an AP,
but you can configure the AP to allocate DHCP addresses for everything on
the wireless network, and as an interface between wired devices &
internet.

Try to keep to one manufacturer, that way you will guarantee a better
interoperability between devices.

If you want to make this a linux thing, here is an article to build your
own AP: http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-wap.html

--
John