[Sussex] wireless

Steve Dobson steve at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Thu Oct 23 21:22:33 UTC 2003

Gareth

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 07:52:37PM +0100, Gareth Ablett wrote:
> this isnt exactly Linux based but ya cant kick me for asking about it :).

Now would we want to do a think like that ;-)

> I want to setup a wireless network in my house for a few comps what is it i
> need to do this?

A good plan and not a problem.

> I'm guessing the 802.11g card for each comp + a swith or hub but i dont see
> these only routers am i missing somthing or what.
>
> I wish to be enlightened so please do.

You don't need that much kit.  If you buy a WiFi (yes 802.11g is the better
spec) then you can turn that machine into your WiFi Access Point and make it
a router for your network.

I've done this using hostap.  Check out http://hostap.epitest.fi/

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'
command, which is available in the reportbug package.