[Sussex] More debian questions

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Tue Sep 2 19:19:00 UTC 2003

Hi List,

One of the downsides of mandrake is that I can do virtually anything I want
with a gui. It doesn't encourage those of us (well, me really) to learn how
to use command line input.

Now I have got kde 2.2 up and running as "USER", but when I try and start it
as root, I get this.

debian:/home/john# startkde
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
xsetroot:  unable to open display ':0.0'
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
ksplash: cannot connect to X server :0.0
_KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
DCOPServer up and running.
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
kded: cannot connect to X server :0.0
DCOP aborting call from 'anonymous-504' to 'kded'
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
kdeinit: Can't connect to the X Server.
kdeinit: Might not terminate at end of session.
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
kcminit: cannot connect to X server :0.0
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
knotify: cannot connect to X server :0.0
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: Registering failed!
ERROR: KUniqueApplication: DCOP communication error!
Xlib: Invalid XDM-AUTHORIZATION-1 key (failed key comparison)
ksmserver: cannot connect to X server :0.0
debian:/home/john# kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
KLauncher: Exiting on signal 1
kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
kdeinit: Exit.

Would someone be kind enough to decypher it and suggest what I might do so I
can log in as root with a gui please ?

Also, can anyone recommend a book that will help me learn command line input,
preferably one that ISN'T necessarily aimed at those who already have the
ability to converse in "geek speak" ? - Also, would it really matter if it
was a linux specific book or one that is more *NIX ??

regards

John D.