[Sussex] Re: Debian Sarge - still a bit of a mystery

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 2 19:56:00 UTC 2003

John

On Tue, Sep 02, 2003 at 05:46:32PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> OK, so thanks to Steve D's valiant efforts last Saturday,

Glad you appreciate it.  I got paid double.  Bandwidth to start my
Debian mirror (still not complete), and food.  This a happy Dobbo
create.

> So, the first mystery.
>
> My prefered browser is OPERA, now as it is not a listed package, according to
> debian, I go off to http://www.opera.com and download the debian opera
> package (I tried both, the shared Qt and static versions).
>
> Into my home directory and click on the icon - which normally (as in - under
> mandrake) the package manager opens and asks for the root password, and then
> will install it.
>
> When in the debian install, I do the above, except when I have clicked on the
> icon, it produces what looks like a "small red box icon" similare to what I
> get with mandrake, that just says "package manager" with the egg timer
> rotating for a while, when it just stops.
>
> So, does "apt" install in this way? If not, can I download it and leave it in
> my home directory, and do apt-get install opera i.e. will it find the package
> in my home directory or will it tell me to clear off as I haven't included
> opera in the apt-get sources list? - Would this apply to everything, as in,
> if I can locate a current version of KDE (3.1.3 is the newest - I think) will
> it "go in" or does it HAVE to be in the apt-get sources list?

"apt" is a wrapper shell that get Debian packages for you and then invokes
the packages manager "dpkg".  The simplest what to is to type the following
command (as root):

  # dpkg --install opera_7.11-20030515.2-shared-qt_i386.deb

This will check for all the right dependencies and install the package.  If
there are any unmet dependencies then dpkg will shout and you'll need to
"apt-get install <package-name>" that are missing.

I've downloaded it and this is what I see when I install it.

  # dpkg --install opera_7.11-20030515.2-shared-qt_i386.deb
  Selecting previously deselected package opera.
  (Reading database ... 77014 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking opera (from opera_7.11-20030515.2-shared-qt_i386.deb) ...
  Setting up opera (7.11-20030515.2) ...

As I know you're running sarge like me (sarge was needed for version of
XFree86 to support the graphics card) there are no unmet dependencies if all
the packages needed are installed.

Happy surfing.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #1: You can report a bug in a package with the 'reportbug'
command, which is available in the reportbug package.