[Sussex] We want broadband!

Angelo Servini Angelo.Servini at claybrook.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 09:53:01 UTC 2003

Sorry Jon

Unless there is a much better reason for having the solwise - Alcatel
are selling an internal PCI, ADSL Modem for about 29 quid inclusive of
postage.  A PCI device should install under Linux pretty easily (i've
also been avoiding USB as it seems a little flaky under Linux at the mo.

Also, could you explain the terminology please - as I'm pretty new at
this.  Things like: CLI, SNMP, NAT and DSLAM?  Not that i'm straining
NATs?  :D

<snip>

>If you need a basic ADSL router, I have a Solwise SAR705 knocking about
>that I was gonna ebay. It's a basic ADSL router, 1 console (+cable!), 1
>power, 1 ethernet and 1 DSL socket on the back. Has a decent CLI for
>doing SNMP stuff. No web interface though. I've been using this for
>approx 14 months with no trouble (Except right at the start when BT had
>to upgrade their DSLAM's to support the modem). It's a bit funny to get
>into routed IP mode, but I managed it (you need to make a change at the
>CLI). Using it in NAT mode works a dream.

BTW Thanks for the help.

Cheers

--
Angelo Servini
Programmer/Analyst
* angelo.servini at claybrook.co.uk

Registered in England and Wales No 1287205

A Hogg Robinson plc company