[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Fri Sep 12 21:31:01 UTC 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 3:36 pm, Steve Dobson wrote:

SCSI is a system for attaching disk, tape and other such devices.
In simple speek it is a technically better (read more costly) version
of IDE.  As your system doesn't have a SCSI I'm not expected you to
see any SCSI devices.

However some system (like some devices on the IDE and USB buses)
emulate SCSI so they may show up.

When you see a "ls -l" listing that starts with an "l" this
means it is a symbol like (short cut if you like) to another
file.

OK, I understand that - I think that I managed the /dev/scd0 "thing" by
accident with the mandrake install :)

Try this as "root"

# cd /dev/sound
# chmod 666 *

OK, done

If "stuff" means the system as a whole then yes.  If you mean
"stuff" to means "related to sound" then no - some of the devices
you are looking at are your disks (hda for example).

From the mountain of reading that I have tried to comprehend, I understand
that the "666" is changing something (permissions?) in the numerical way?

First "cdplay" with out arguments will work on the default CDROM
type device (the DVD in this case).

Next you need to get sound working before a user level program can
write to your sound device.

To test to see if the sound works try (as root):

# apt-get install esound
# esd

If that plays a little music then the sound system is working.

Yes, I got the accending tones

Also try installing tkmixer so you can set the volume of the sound
system.

# app-get install tkmixer

OK, done that - I did actually manage to get "aumix" installed, and the sound
output level seemed OK (set at approx 80%)

You mention "cdplay without arguements" and the default cdrom being the dvd
player. So with that in mind, I presume that the arguements bit means things
like "-t and -l" etc, and after reading the man page for cdtool and from what
it says, have tried the following

cdplay -d /dev/hdc

That has given me this

john at debian:~$ cdplay -d /dev/hdc
cdplay: ioctl cdrommsf
john at debian:~$

It did actually make the green light flash a couple of times before giving me
the bash reply.

That's as far as I have managed to get (apart from now understanding the hda
1 thru 4)

The part of the output of the "ls -al /dev" command that I mentioned earlier
that has confused me is this part.

lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Sep 12 20:46 hdb ->
ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0/cd
lr-xr-xr-x    1 root     root           30 Sep 12 20:46 hdc ->
ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd

The "hdc -> ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd" part looks like the path? that I
had to use with mandrake to get XMMS to play anything (and as I could never
remember that lot, I have never bothered to use XMMS under mandrake),
nevertheless, I have tried it in the "kscd options" instead of the default
/dev/cdrom - with the resulting "Error 11 (SIGSEGV)" and the application
crashing (as usual).

What do you think I should try next ?

regards

John D.

p.s. thanks for the command about running dpkg --install opera etc etc - it
didn't work. I kept getting dependency problems, which I tried to resolve
with the apt-get facility, but was unsuccessful. The problem is to do with
libqt3-mt which seems to be obsolete, and it wouldn't install the 3 packages
that have replaced it. I googled for it, but only came up with the suggestion
to try and install the "static" version instead of the shared-qt version.
This has worked and I've got the opera back (though for reasons that I don't
understand - when I started opera, it started up with the same preferences
that I had before - would this be because there was still some kind of
preferences file left in the system ???