[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd)

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at krasnegar.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 16 02:44:00 UTC 2003

Hi John

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:55:34PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Sunday 14 September 2003 8:11 pm, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > Well one option is to connect the lead to the DVD rather than the CDRW and
> > only play CDs on your DVD.
>
> To be honest, I'd rather not, as I feel sure that while the differences
> between mandrake and debian are considerable, that if a "newbie/desktop
> distro" can sort it automatically, then I should be able to get this sorted
> with the correct "choices" for the configuration of the device (if only I
> knew how to modify the configuration):)

A good reason.

> >Try the command "dmesg | less".  It will show you some important kernel
> > messages that were reported at boot time.  This can be very helpful in
> > determine how the kernel has configured the devices it has found.
>
> I have done this and can see the following references to the cdrw or "hdc"!
>
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: WDC WD1200JB-75CRA0, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: IDE DVD-ROM 16X, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hdc: CW058D ATAPI CD-R/RW, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

I see this on my laptop:

ICH3M: chipset revision 1
ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
    ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hda: IC25N030ATCS04-0, ATA DISK drive
hdc: UJDA710, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

So apart from the fact that my laptop and your workstation have differnt
IDE control chips, the address used are different and that you have more
hardware (a DVD installed as a second unit on the first IDE bus) I don't
see a difference here.
	`
> and this
>
> hdb: ATAPI 16X DVD-ROM drive, 512kB Cache
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> hdc: ATAPI 48X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
> ide-floppy driver 0.97.sv

Where as I with my single drive see:

hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

> Should there be some driver information with the "hdc" entry? or is it
> suggesting that there is no driver installed for the cdrw/hdc ? or is it
> suggesting that it is trying to use the floppy driver ??

I would have though so.  But as I have never owned a CD-R/RW drive
I don't know which driver it shouls use.  Boot in to Mandrake and see
what dmsg reports there.  As that "works" it is the reference system.

Debian Tip of the E-Mail:
Debian Hint #19: If you're interested in building packages from source, you
should consider installing the apt-src package.