[Sussex] Debian install - Still no sound (from cdrw/dvd) + knoppix hard drive install's

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Mon Sep 22 15:45:01 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 2:50 am, Steve Dobson wrote:
> Hi John
>
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 08:55:34PM +0100, John D. wrote:
> > On Sunday 14 September 2003 8:11 pm, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > > Well one option is to connect the lead to the DVD rather than the CDRW
> > > and only play CDs on your DVD.
<snip>
> > >Try the command "dmesg | less".  It will show you some important kernel
> > > messages that were reported at boot time.  This can be very helpful in
> > > determine how the kernel has configured the devices it has found.
<snip>
> I see this on my laptop:
> ICH3M: chipset revision 1
> ICH3M: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0x1860-0x1867, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
>     ide1: BM-DMA at 0x1868-0x186f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
> hda: IC25N030ATCS04-0, ATA DISK drive
> hdc: UJDA710, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
> So apart from the fact that my laptop and your workstation have differnt
> IDE control chips, the address used are different and that you have more
> hardware (a DVD installed as a second unit on the first IDE bus) I don't
> see a difference here.
<snip>
> Where as I with my single drive see:
>
> hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, UDMA(33)
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
> > Should there be some driver information with the "hdc" entry? or is it
> > suggesting that there is no driver installed for the cdrw/hdc ? or is it
> > suggesting that it is trying to use the floppy driver ??
> I would have though so.  But as I have never owned a CD-R/RW drive
> I don't know which driver it shouls use.  Boot in to Mandrake and see
> what dmsg reports there.  As that "works" it is the reference system.

Just to keep you up to speed on my now "ex-audio cd/cdrw" problem. Two days
ago, I was really starting to get desperate - this was really driving me up
the wall.

After a rather late night "on the monitor", I found a reference to knoppix and
I don't remember who, but someone suggested at the last moot, that you can
load it up and either find suggestions or hints and tips,  or do the hard
disc install.

Fortunately, some while ago, David Chapman had given me a copy of the knoppix
3.1, which I had forgotten about, so I booted into it, and was absolutely
amazed by it. It gave me ideas as well as the hint/tip that I needed. I
noticed that the first thing it did, was to detect that the drive it was in
was a cdrw, which it promptly named /dev/scd1, which I presumed meant that I
must have to have the scsi emulation for debian to deal with my cdrw.

So after a quick visit to linuxquestions.org the answer came from about 12000
miles away, from a chap in Sydney.

His advice was this -

"Type modprobe ide-scsi. I'm not sure if it will work straightaway (but I
think it will), or if you have to load this a boot time. Regardless of the
outcome of the above command, add the line ide-scsi to your /etc/modules
file. Should work on every boot from now on. Mind you, the append line still
has to be present in lilo.conf."

And I'll be blowed if it didn't start playing "the Smith's track called Panic"

One thing that I still don't understand is that from the "lsmod" output below,
I worked out that I would have to call "it" /dev/sr1,

ide-scsi                7360   1
scsi_mod               84952   2 [sr_mod ide-scsi]

but why, as knoppix had seen the device as /dev/scd1, and my mandrake see's it
as /dev/scd0 - I also noticed during my digging, that sometimes you may also
have to call a cdrw /dev/sg0 or 1, hence why the different device identifiers
??

Also, when trying knoppix I found, that apparently, if I installed it on my
hard drive, "it just becomes a normal debian install" - Is this correct ?

And If so, does anyone know if it "looses" any of the setting's or
configuration that it sets up ?

I ask this, because having tried the 3.1 that Dave C gave me, I have also
downloaded the 3.2, which seems equally as impressive, it also makes my
manual configuration of the "visual's" of my sarge, look decidedly drab, with
what seems to be better and infinitely more knowledgable package selection.

regards

John D.